Whether you are new to the PFAPA world, still searching for a diagnosis, or a seasoned pro (unfortunately), I am hoping with my new book to provide you with new insight on how to approach your PFAPA care. Whether it is yourself, your child, grandchild or significant other, these tools are for EVERYONE!
Today I am going to share a piece of this book to get you thinking about what is behind the fevers, episodes and symptoms and how what is happening THE REST OF THE TIME when your child doesn’t have symptoms that is CAUSING the episodes.
Lifestyle & Nutrition Are the Only Keys To At Home Success
As you approach these changes in lifestyle to try to manage and balance out PFAPA symptoms or episodes, consider adopting these habits for yourself and your whole family as well. The habits described are specific at times to PFAPA care, but in general will also help you and your family live a more fulfilling, healthy life. Balance in our body systems is crucial to avoiding long-term disease, and feeling great every day. Also consider not only your physical health, but also the mental health of your family. Dealing with chronic disease (and yes this is chronic), can be difficult at times and feel impossible. By implementing these balancing techniques into your life you will also gain better control over your mental health and feelings!
Have you dreamed of the day when it all just stops?
I have no doubt that you have dreamed about the day you were likely told will come with PFAPA. That day when the fevers and episodes NEVER return. It won’t happen all by itself for most children. I know what “they” say – but what I have learned through this functional approach is that there IS A REASON these children, or now also adults, have this condition. It takes maintenance, and it takes knowing the right way to get balance back to alleviate these symptoms and spread out episodes. Sure, some might find this balance without this specific approach (i.e. outgrow it), but I know there are now adults with longer PFAPA stories in recent research. This means that some people need more than just “waiting for something to balance out” (which really is related to a change they made). Many people want control and better management now – and these methods help you get there.
I want you to consider the following about your PFAPA child, or yourself, as you work your way through this book:
• Were they born via c-section? Were they breastfed?
• Did they have colic?
• How did they sleep as an infant or child?
•Were there any major digestive events in this child’s life? (Severe diarrhea, infections, reflux, GERD, etc)
• How many times has your child been treated with antibiotics?
• What type of food does my child eat? (Sugar, flours, breads, pastas, refined items, processed foods, boxed cereals, or other things like whole foods and meats)
• Does my child eat whole fat foods? Or is it all non or low fat foods?
• How much water (pure filtered water) is your child drinking daily?
• Does my child take regular medications?
• Do I give my child any type of supplements, like vitamins, minerals, probiotics etc?
• What type of exposure to chemicals in body products, cleaning products and the environment does my child have?
If you answered yes to any of these questions, you want to keep following along. Even if you didn’t… keep following along because this is all about balancing the body for optimal daily function for ANY human!
As we jump into this I want to tell you what this book is about and what it is not about:
• This book is NOT a substitute for medical advice. You must seek out assistance on medication, supplements and diagnosis from a medical doctor.
•This is NOT a diagnosis of any type.
•This book is NOT intended to cure any disease or ailment.
My book will:
• Help you get a better balance in your child’s body systems, diet, nutrition, home environment, hydration, lifestyle and stress.
• This book contains steps that we have taken with a 10-year-old PFAPA child (episodes from age 8 months) to control and eventually cease episodes. They may NOT work for your child or situation. Each person is different, and each child’s triggers and imbalances are individual.
•This book is meant to be a guide with information that you may choose to use, or choose to ignore. Let this be a reference for new things to try in your PFAPA life, and most of all, let this be a HOPE that you can find breaks and more control in your own PFAPA life.
In the next few weeks I am going to highlight just portions of the chapters in my book to help you start thinking about changes you can make. I also encourage you to purchase the book right here on my site, or via amazon.
In addition, it is HARD to do this all alone. Without my degrees, and background, I never could have stopped the episodes and gotten control. Although these are great things to consider and start with inside this book, your child’s individual needs will be different than my child’s, and other children I have seen in practice as an NTP. I encourage you to setup a time to chat with me about what I do as an NTP, answer a few questions about your child and see what we can do together to get your family back on track. This small appointment gives you a chance to consider what methods I use to help determine YOUR child’s needs, as well as if your child’s symptoms and issues fall into line with the work I do as an NTP.